It’s trendy to travel close to home!
Nearcation – this is one of those new blended words that define a vacation that’s close to home.
There are several of these new blended words that we are hearing in the travel world today, the staycation (holidaying at home or in your hometown with preplanned activities each day and returning home each night) the daycation (a day trip), even the greycation (retirees traveling together). But the nearcation combines all the best elements.
It’s only human nature when we think about taking a vacation that our minds automatically go to far-flung destinations that are as different from our daily lives as possible. But people from all over the world are travelling to explore the magic in areas that those who live in close proximity often take for granted or don’t think of as a getaway opportunity.
Here are some of the benefits of taking a nearcation:
· Destinations closer to home mean less travel time and more time to relax.
· Travelling close to home will provide a hands on education for what’s in your own region or province. Use this knowledge to be an ambassador for your area next time you are travelling abroad.
· It may provide you with much needed breaks more often without consuming your entire vacation allotment.
· Nearcations are usually easier on the annual travel budget allowing for a number of shorter trips during the year.
· Travelling with friends and family is easier when trips are shorter and more affordable.
· When travelling close to home there is no currency exchange to calculate which can greatly impact a budget.
· Cultural experiences can happen close to home. Choose a destination that will take you to the big city if you live in a rural community or to a place where native culture or wild animals are the experiences that you do not experience every day.
· Nearcations are also ideal for celebrating an anniversary, special birthday, Valentine’s Day or other special events. It provides a short break while allowing you to experience a break in your daily routine. Theatre, special events, local festivals are ideal for short get-a-ways.
Remember to plan ahead. While the nearcation may be in your own local region there may be travellers coming from afar to visit the destination you have chosen, so planning ahead will not leave you disappointed when you arrive and the hotel that was part of your special trip is sold out.
Wells Gray Tours provides many tours that qualify as nearcations that range from 3 to 8 days and is currently promoting a BC Bucks program for some of those tours.
Win $200 BC Bucks
Book one of our BC getaways for your
chance to win $200 off the tour fare!
Everyone who books on one of the following BC tours is entered in the contest.
Book by: Friday April 25, 2014. Draw date: Monday April 28, 2014.
Harrison Hot Springs Retreat
March 11, 2014 — 3 Days
Whistler Seniors’ Spring Getaway
April 14, 2014 — 4 Days
Easter Theatre Escape to Oak Bay Beach Hotel
April 17, 2014 — 5 Days
Salt Spring Island
May 4, 2014 — 5 Days
May 12, 2014 — 4 Days
Vancouver Foodie Tour
June 10, 2014 — 4 Days
June 13, 2014 — 7 Days